Tuesday, March 9, 2010

5 Days Until Shamrock!

Today I had CPR training for work so I did not get my lunchtime run in today like I had hoped. For lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a very grain-y and oat-y bread. It was tasty and very filling. I was so full I didn't have to eat a snack in the afternoon. During the training, they discussed strains and sprains, which I found very interesting since I've suffered from both before! I figured I would share the info here since exercising of any kind can cause a strain, sprain, or worse. Remember to RICE.

REST...Protect the injured muscle.
ICE...use ice packs for 15-20 minutes at a time on the injured area. (Longer exposure can damage the skin, so don't over do it.)
COMPRESSION....reduces swelling. Wrap the area in an ace bandage.
ELEVATION....reduces swelling.

NOTE: If your injury does not improve within 24 hours of the injury and you did the RICE diligently, call your doctor asap.

I went to the gym tonight since it was very cold out today and the gray clouds were threatening nasty rain (and I was right!). I spent 40 minutes on the stair-master and then did about 20 minutes of weights. It felt good to be back in the gym and working on my weight program! Tonight I spent most of my time on my upper body (especially my triceps). I burned 540 calories.

Dinner was left over Spinach Ravioli and pesto (my sore throat is much improved!) and steamed cauliflower.

There are 5 days left until the Shamrock Run. I feel very unprepared. I wish I could get one last long run in before Sunday but I think that would do more damage than good at this point.

UPDATE: I forgot to post my weight in yesterday's post. I weighed in at 158.

No comments:

Post a Comment