Thursday, February 18, 2010

Every woman's fear


So this post is pretty personal for me, but I think it's important to share in case it can help another woman. Almost two years ago, I felt a lump in my breast. Of course, I panicked. Long story short, it was not cancer or a tumor. It was a fibroadenoma.

"A fibroadenoma is a non-cancerous benign lump that is found in breast tissue. When felt under the skin, the lump may feel rubbery and easily moveable within the breast tissue. Fibroadenomas are commonly found in young women during their reproductive years."

The reason I'm posting this is because it can happen to any woman. I asked my surgeon if I had had the fibroadenoma for a long time, because it was fairly large (it FELT like the size of a golf ball). He said I had probably had it for awhile. He was aware of my medical history and that I had lost a lot of weight. I asked him if I was only just now feeling the lump because I had lost 110 pounds. Of course he couldn't say for sure, but he said it was possible.

I was so heavy that my chest was very large. Losing weight, I also went down many, many bra sizes. The reason is that breasts are made of fat tissue.

Luckily it wasn't cancer. But what if it was? I never would have felt the lump if I hadn't lost the weight. The above photo was taken 2 months after I had my surgery. I have had no problems since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment