Monday, February 15, 2010

Peanut Butter


For two years, I stopped eating peanut butter. I know it must sound like I cut a lot of things out of my diet for 2 years while I was losing weight. I really didn't, I just cut out a few things I knew I couldn't eat in moderation. I had to retrain my brain to make good choices, learn portion sizes, and decide WHICH calories I wanted to eat.

Peanut butter is pretty high in calories. For 2 years, it was all about the numbers. Did I want to eat 200 calories in peanut butter? Or perhaps "spend" that 200 calories somewhere else? But in denying myself peanut butter, I was also denying my body good fat, protein, and fiber!

Peanut butter is an excellent fuel food. When I started my running routine, I started reading and researching what I should be eating. I wanted to have energy and stamina. Over and over again, I read peanut butter was the secret! It's so filling too! So eat a serving size (2 tablespoons) of peanut butter on some crackers, or fruit (apples and bananas are yummy) before working out and see the difference!

I prefer Skippy Natural peanut butter to the others out there I've tried. The Boy likes Jif and spreads it on tortilla chips (eeew). Recently I picked up the TJ's brand. Not sure if I like it yet--it's a little creamier than I'm used to.

1 comment:

  1. Saw your story on Run Eat Repeat-Good for you!

    Also, my husband eats peanut butter on tortilla chips....so strange!!!

    ReplyDelete