Saturday, March 13, 2010

Carbs for dinner


Tonight for dinner, we are having "Fettuccine Paolo" from the "Athlete's Palate" cookbook. It makes 2 servings:

4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 1/3 cups chicken stock
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts with liquid
1 1/2 cups sliced grilled chicken
2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz fettuccine
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

Rehydrate the sun-dried tomatoes by placing them in a bowl with 1 cup warm water. Soak for 1 hour, or until soft. Gently squeeze to remove excess liquid and set aside.

Heat olive oil in skillet. Add bell peppers and cook 3 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the stock, balsamic vinegar, boil and then simmer until reduced by half. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and liquid, grilled chicken and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm. Cook fettuccine, drain and add to sauce. Mix thoroughly and top with cheese.

Per serving: 580 calories, 44 grams protein, 66 grams carbs, 17 grams fat


* * * * * * *

I forgot to get bell peppers at the store so I'm leaving that off. I also didn't feel like chicken, so I got prosciutto instead. Hopefully my alterations don't change the recipe too much. I also got whole grain wheat fettuccine pasta.


And yes, I had 1 beer! It's carbs! :) The result of the pasta: it was okay. It wasn't the best thing ever. We both decided it probably would have been better with the chicken. Oh well! Live and learn. I still got the carbs I was looking for. I really liked the artichoke hearts too. I also had a side salad of red leaf lettuce and baby spinach leaves. Dessert was ice water with 4 small pieces of dark chocolate. It's about 8:45pm now. I am heading to bed! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment